Tuesday, May 14, 2013

An Old-Fashioned Hello



I have been so inspired lately by the beautiful cards created by Michele Kovak on her blog, Thoughts of a Cardmaking Scrapbooker.  I love her style and have learned so much from her since finding her on the old Circle Design Team.  I thought it would be fun to get out my 'Michele sponge' and make a card inspired by some things I have been seeing on her blog.  I love her recent Mother's Day card tutorial,  mini album, and Easter card.  I also wanted to make something that looked vintage.  I thought this would be a fun card for my last project on the Cricut Fanatics blog. (You can find me there today!)

I started with a paper pack from My Mind's Eye with lots of weathered wood and shabby chic florals.

I cut a doily from Artiste (page 31) at 4".  After inking it and embossing it, I popped it up 1/4" so that a natural shadow would separtate it from the card surface.  I added my ribbon.


I created a dimensional flower using directions by Kathy Orta, cutting the base pieces per her instructions from Cricut George and Basic Shapes at 2".  This is the same flower I recently used in a larger size inside an explosion box.  To see my box, click here.  To check out Kathy's video tutorial, click here.  I added a thin, fine line of glitter paint along the edges of the flowers. That felt old-fashioned, like some of my grandma's Christmas ornaments.  I hand-cut leaves, bending and folding to create a little dimension.

The text was cut from Cricut Lyrical Letters at 1-1/2" and manipulated by hand to curve.  (I cut away the butterfly that was part of the text).

To make everything look aged, I inked with brown, including the flower and ribbon.




For a little inspiration, I got out some of my Great Aunt Henrietta's buttons and findings...and added a few buttons and snaps.  


I really enjoyed making this card... and making a mess, revisiting some of my treasures.  Thank you for checking my post today!



7 comments:

Angie's Paper Passion said...

Nadia, I hope you won't mind but I listed your blog in my post this Tuesday morning about your amazing work and how you manipulate your Cricut images. I told my readers that you will amaze them!!! It's on the Fantabulous Cricut Challenge Blog. I'm on the design team and I also write an article every tuesday. Just wanted to share the love!!!
Angela (TiffysMom)

Sis Patterson said...

Nadia -

It is such a lovely and elegant card. Love all of the Nadia touches and the wonderful nod to Michele's style. Your rose is absolutely gorgeous with the little touch of glitter. Love the sweep of the bow upwards and your Aunt Henrietta's buttons and findings. The doily is spectacular!

Perfectly charming!!!

Amie Kiger (Kigz) said...

Gorgeous, Nadia. Love the little trim of glitter. I can't wait to see how that flower was made! I enjoy your posts as much as I enjoyed those Michele made for the Circle. :)

JennyKozar said...

Nadia this is just beautiful!

cdm317 said...

Gorgeous card Nadia.

Lori said...

Nadia, I love vintage styles and this is gorgeous. I can't even imagine it in person. I love Michele's work. So effortless. You can tell right away when you see her work.

D- said...

Your card is so beautiful. TFS.
D~ Dragonfly50
http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

But wait! There's more! Click 'older posts' above!

But wait!  There's more!  Click 'older posts' above!