Thursday, December 7, 2017

My Daughter's Christmas Craft: Fuzzy Sock Gnomes


My kiddo likes to make special gifts each year.  Past years have been pine cone birds, glitter-filled personalized ornaments, and personalized ITH hand sanitizer cases.  This year, we found a fantastic video for making gnomes from rice and fuzzy socks and that is her crafty gift project this year.  You can find the video tutorial we used on Facebook here:

I found $1 fuzzy socks at Walgreens and at Dollar Tree.  We used care not to grab the ones with rubberized non-skid dots.  


We did make a change from her tutorial in that we did not use hollowed out Styrofoam cones; we rolled up card stock cones instead and trimmed them down to 5-1/2" because I have tons of card stock.  We also used fake fur for the beards because I have tons of that stuff too! 


We used white socks from Walmart, but next time we will look for pale pink or tan.  As it is, the white socks and the beard blend too much so we used a dobber and a pink stamp pad to color the nose.  One thing we learned after our first ones:  make the nose really, really big!  

What I love most about this project is that my 13-year-old daughter and I had such a fun time learning this and making some samples together.  We laughed so hard at one point that we were in tears.  That kind of time with a teenager is precious and rare.


Happy Christmas crafting with your family!  

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

What a great idea! I like to put fuzzy socks in my girls' stockings, but this is much cuter! Thanks for sharing!

Diane Hodrick said...

These are adorable too. I am on an elf/gnome kick this Christmas.

But wait! There's more! Click 'older posts' above!

But wait!  There's more!  Click 'older posts' above!