Monday, October 10, 2011

Yudu Gift for a Tiny Dancer


Just wanted to share a little gift I made last week... it was a birthday gift for one of the little ballerinas in my daughter's dance class.  Juliet turned seven!  She and my daughter are feeling a bit grown up now, having danced in the Wizard of Oz and in the Nutcracker, so I thought a grown up ballerina image was in order!

I love using my Yudu for easy gifts!  Most of the time it takes to Yudu is done while I do other things, like waiting for screens or ink to dry so it is easy to fit it in among lots of other chores and daily tasks!  Using a technique I figured out a couple of months ago, I made a colorful t-shirt for Miss Juliet!  (To see that previous post with technique photos, click here!)


For this shirt, I cut the border of the dancer icon from Wall Decor and More (page 35) at 4" on my Expression in black cardstock.  I printed "JULIET" on my computer onto an inkjet transparency using Microsoft's Calibri at 150 point.  I simply placed the die cut under the name and burned it onto the emulsion to get this design on my screen.  I squirted Plaid Simply Screen inks onto the dried screen, pulling them in a curve to floodfill, and then pulling straight to screen the garment.  The result is a multicolor design.

For the gift bag, I used the same page of Wall Decor and More to find the single dancer, cutting it at 6-1/4".  I cut a piece of tulle and gathered it with a needle and thread and then sewed it to the diecut before adhering the die cut to the bag.  Tape on the back of the die cut secured the thread and kept it from pulling apart when little hands tugged at the tutu (as predicted).

My daughter created a hand-drawn card for her friend to finish the gift!  I am so sorry that I didn't snap a picture of her card to share.  I just love children's artwork so I am sorry to have missed that.

Thank you for looking at my projects today.  I have so much fun making gifts.  You can find a gallery of all my projects, Yudu and otherwise, by clicking my Project Gallery tab at the top of my blog, or by clicking here.  For all of my Yudu information and sources for materials, click here.

I will share one little card I made for a lady on the Cricut message board who requested birthday cards for herself for an upcoming milestone birthday... one that she wasn't looking forward to.  Ever wish we could always look forward to our birthdays like we did when we were little?!  Let's make a pact to do just that!!

17 comments:

L.B. said...

The shirt turned out so pretty. Love the colors. makes we want a yudu.

Hrvatica said...

Great shirt. The multi color is awesome. Cute gift bag and card too.

Sandy from Ukiah said...

Oh Juliet is going to love this and the bag... AND I love the sentiment on the birthday card... I am sure she will like it.

Shelley said...

Love the shirt! I have been debating getting Wall Decor and More from rewards for the last week and I think your project is convincing me I need it. My oldest started ballet this yr and loves it.

Linda Kaiser said...

The shirt is amazing and the colors are perfect! I love the card and the gift bag too! Wow!

Linda

Jackie said...

Beautiful Ballerinas, I'm sure Juliet loved it.
Great work you do, Nadia, simply lovely.

Anonymous said...

Somewhere a 7 year old named Juliet must be doing the "happy dance!"

A lovely and thoughtful gift that I am sure delighted the recipient.

And the card is FABULOUS - love that sentiment - is the cut from Art Philosophy? I still haven't made the investment but everyday I am sorely tempted!

eunice said...

So pretty! Lucky Juliet to have a friend with such a creative mom. Hmmm...I was indifferent about getting the Yudu, but after seeing your fabulous projects, I might have to ask Santa for one this year! Great birthday card...love the butterfly (Cricut?) and especially the quote from one of my favorite ladies...

Kate said...

What great projects! I especially like the tulle on the gift bag. What an effective element!

Unknown said...

Love the shirt! Those colors are spectacular.

~Crystal

Cindy@ Scrap-obsessed.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful projects. You definitely get the most out of your machines. You take things to a whole new level. Thank you for always sharing with us.

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Girl you were the reason I got a Yudu but honestly I haven't used it yet - I think 3 months running now :(. I DID take it out of the box to breathe though.....I love the shirt you made and the technique behind it! When I'm done collecting what I need to make a project with the Yudu, I will post. Thanks for sharing all your talents with us.

Audrey Frelx said...

Beautiful, beautiful!!! Nadia, you're amazing, my friend!!!

That t-shirt is unbelievable!!!

cdm317 said...

Nadia,
This is fantastic! What a special gift! TFS
Colleen

papillon digital design said...

wow love the tulle on the shopping back! And you go girl with yudu. Mine is still in the box! It intimidates me!

Carolyn/MamaC said...

The Yudu shirt is perfect! Love the colors! The birthday card is really nice, too!
Carolyn
http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

Ohhh Snap said...

Wonderful tee shirt and the co-ordinating gift bag puts it over the top :D. Love that tulle tutu. TFS!

But wait! There's more! Click 'older posts' above!

But wait!  There's more!  Click 'older posts' above!