- Paper Project Gallery
- About Me
- Papercraft Tools
- Recipes Posted
- Accolades - Features
- Caught Our Eye
- Cricut Settings
- Art from Friends
- Loom Knit
- Made for AG Dolls
- Cricut Explore: Pen Options & Writing Fonts
- Cricut Explore:Snipping .png Files
- Contact Me
- Organize with Pinterest
- Machine Embroidery Gallery, Links, Info, Software
- Making Soap & Gallery
Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Something Old Something New Challenge
This is my entry for the Cricut Circle Blog NSD Crop: Something Old Something New! I cracked myself up with this concept. (My husband was less than amused, which goes to show you can't please everyone). This challenge required using one older cartridge and one newer one. I chose Everyday Paper Dolls and Go Canada!
For the crafty details (everything was cut with the Cricut Expression unless otherwise noted):
I started with the beaver from Go Canada! (page 32), cut at 4". I bought this cartridge just for this cut. I had so much fun developing this little guy's personality! He reminded me of every little boy I knew in elementary school growing up.
I hand-cut his t-shirt by first tracing the top layer, cutting out and then adding a couple of pieces so the sleeves would look rolled up.
I inked him in black, used pearlescent chalks for his cheeks, and detailed his tail with a white gel pen. (I later added a little shine to his nose with the same gel pen). I bent his feet up a bit.
I ran the t-shirt (before gluing on him) through my printer and added text from Microsoft Coaster at 14 and 20 point. I inked the shirt in black to give it a little grubbiness.
I cut his hat from Everyday Paper Dolls (page 69) at 3-1/4". I inked it heavily, bent it at the score lines to give it volume, and turned up the bill a bit. I popped it up with 1/16" pop dot in the center only, allowing the sides to bend down.
I bent his fingers to make him point and glued his thumb in place.
I cut the moose from Go Canada! at 3-1/4". I used my Cuttlebug on the base and ran a white ink pad over it to emphasize the embossing. I snipped off the antlers and chin from the base so that I could pop up the head 1/4" off the base. I bent his bangs up a bit for dimension.
I used a 4-1/2" x 6-1/2" piece of cardstock and handcut a strip from a striped paper to create a wallpaper border. I added the mounted moose head.
I adhered the beaver flat except for his pointing arm, which I popped up 1/16".
I folded down a 7"x10" piece of cardstock for the base to create a 5" x 7" card and adhered the mat to it. I also added a 4-1/2" x 6-1/2" white mat to the inside to make it easier to write a message.
Yay! One more challenge completed! Thank you for checking my blog today! To see many of my previous projects, click here to go to My Project Gallery.